Saturday, March 10, 2012

Welcome!

     Hello, friend/interested reader/person who, after surfing the web in boredom for hours, found this site by mistake! My name is Kory Labarga.  I write.  When I emerged from the womb, I demanded a pencil and a piece of paper.  The nurse was so shocked, she immediately sought these items and cast them at me, then fled shouting, "It's the end of the world!" or something along those lines.  Anyway, once I received such wonderful gifts, I began to pen my first epic.  I finished it at the age of three.  If this were a true story, then I would be remarkable indeed; but alas, I lacked the vocal and motor skills to accomplish such a feat.
     I commenced what would become an exciting (and often frustrating) writing journey at the age of four or five, producing a short story every day for years.  Then fifth grade came around, and I decided I was prepared to face the world of the almighty "novel."  I remember getting shivers just thinking about it.  So I did what any fifth grade author would do: I created a perfect protagonist (his name was Kory [no relation, of course]), and I placed him in a fantastical world and had him overcome more challenges than any average human could bear.  It was no problem for Kory Labarga--er, I mean Kory, that character who was not based on the writer of this blog by any means.  The book stemmed out into a quadrilogy before I ran out of juice.  Now, now, you eager beaver, do not gasp in amazement over the fact that I wrote so much at that age.  Each book in that series was no more than 100 hand-written pages, and half of each page found itself emblazoned with a poorly drawn picture that represented whatever scene graced the upper portion of the page.  Nonetheless, this launched me into a fleet of novels that gradually became more profound.
     I attended William Jessup University and received my bachelor's degree in English (with a concentration in creative writing) in May of 2012.  One short story of mine, "Marley's Flower," appeared in William Jessup's literary journal, Metonym, six days from the original writing of this post.  I was (and still am) excited about and grateful for the success of "Marley's Flower," but I hope to expand beyond the aforementioned journal and publicize my works on a grander scale.  Thus, I come to my purpose for this blog.  One of my aims is to entertain you; however, this is only tertiary.  My secondary aim is to take hold of you and warp you to a different world, even if the setting of a particular story is in the world with which we are familiar.  My primary aim is to develop a fanbase that is interested in and loyal to my stories, from the simple flash fiction pieces I may post on occasion, to the lengthy chapters of my beloved novel, The Prophecy: The Quest for Vengeance.  As you may well know, fans don't have to love every word that their appreciated author writes; in fact, some fans are enraged by certain plot twists, diction, pieces of dialogue, and other things.  As I post my stories, I encourage you to write down your reactions in the Comments section below each post.  If you love something, please tell me what I do to make you love it.  If you hate it, please let me know why it doesn't work.  I will make an attempt to reply to every comment received, which will be extremely easy or extremely difficult, depending on the number of fans I acquire.
     Until further notice, I plan to post four stories, or pieces of stories, per month.  As I come to a better understanding of the mechanics of this website and of my own schedule, I will plan to post on a certain day (and perhaps I will be organized enough to post at a specific time on that day!), so that I can sate my readers with the scheduled continuance of a story or something completely new.  (Later edit: In general, I post every Saturday, so check throughout that day for new posts.)  If you have analyzed these four paragraphs thoroughly, I will first tell you that you must be an English major.  Then I will ask you, "What did I miss?" If you think that I have omitted important information regarding this blog, please let me know so that I can make the appropriate changes.  Otherwise, enjoy the reading!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not an English major, but my friend, who became your wife, recommended your stories to me. I will not criticize the content of the story, I just want to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete