Saturday, June 16, 2012

Lament for the Trash Bag


I don't write poetry very often, but when I do, I try not to take it too seriously.  This poem, which I wrote over a year ago, was intended to be silly--in contrast to quite a bit of deep and depressing poetry I heard in a creative writing class at the time.  Nonetheless, even a poem as silly as this can be thoroughly analyzed.  Whether you read it for fun or take an hour to examine each word, I hope you enjoy the break from the lengthy prose I have posted over the weeks.  Of course, I hope you also enjoy the poem itself.
 
I chucked a trash bag into the trash can,
And found myself
Ashamed,
As though I had shattered a moral code.
The trash bag, 
For whom my heart now pouts,
Had procured such an unpromising tear
As to place himself on a podium of uselessness.

Down he went, into the dark,
Mocked—
Surrounded by a new bag
That had pilfered his desired station.
I turned away, showering congratulations on
Myself
For eyeing the sharp tear that had
Misshapen the trash bag.

But then “Shoot!” I shouted.
For I realized,
Had I shown mercy and love,
I’d have mended the tear and given the trash bag a chance.
He, repaired and perfected,
Would have pranced to his station,
And with newfound inspiration,
Thrived for his predetermined purpose.

Instead I left the shamed trash bag
In the dank dark of the smelly trash can,
Shut off forever from bearing trash,
And shunned by an imperfect purchaser.
So I returned to my room, for I thought,
“It's just a trash bag;”
But in this I erred, for a trash bag without trash
Is just a bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment