Monday, January 14, 2013

White Fox--Chapter 3, Part 2


Noticing that she did not want to open up about her problems, Renardo continued his apology (which he had practiced at home, to some degree): “You know, what made the entire situation worse the other day was that I left without getting your name.  And I didn’t give you mine.”  He extended his arm across the table.  “I’m Renardo.”
She took his hand, and he marveled at the coldness, frailty, and subtle strength that were transmitted to him in such a simple gesture.  “I’m Corinne.  It’s nice to meet you, Renardo.”
A waiter came to their table, and they both ordered a French Vanilla coffee.  As she ordered hers, Renardo flashed her a thumbs-up.  The waiter took their menus and walked into the kitchen.
“So, Corinne, huh?” said Renardo.  “That’s a really nice name.  You don’t hear that too often.”
“Yeah, I suppose,” she answered, “but I’d have to say that Renardo is probably rarer.  You’re the first I’ve ever met with that name.  Is it Italian?”
“I don’t know if it’s only Italian, but it is in my case.  I’m half-Italian, and my other half is like a billion other things.”
“So is your mom, or your dad Italian?”
He looked toward the table and shrugged, then mumbled something under his breath.  “Um…what about you? I can’t even begin to guess what you are.”
“As far as I know, I’m British and Irish.  Clearly, I’m a few generations removed from those countries.  I don’t even have a hint of an accent, as you can see.  My grandfather does, and my parents have a tinge of their respective accents.”
“I see,” Renardo remarked.
“Yep.” The young lady began to fiddle with a ring on one of her fingers, and her countenance grew contemplative.  She gazed down at the table.
“Corinne, you doing ok?”
Her eyes returned to him.  “Um, yes.  Sorry, I have a lot on my mind.  I’m normally quite talkative, and I apologize.” She took a deep breath.  “Hey, do you mind telling me what your connection was to that guy you call ‘Mustache Man’? If it’s too personal, that’s fine.  I’m just curious as to how someone managed to get you so terrified, you ran out of the shop.”
“I wasn’t terrified,” Renardo retorted, somewhat offended.  “I was anxious.”
“You were anxious before you jumped up and fled like the place was on fire,” she pointed out as the waiter returned and set down their cups of coffee.  She grabbed the cup as if she were about to drink from it, but then she seemed to reconsider and placed it back on the wooden surface.  “I don’t think a little anxiety would cause such a response.”
“I didn’t flee,” Renardo answered, now annoyed.  “I vacated the premises quickly because I was anxious.”
“Isn’t that fleeing?”
“No, fleeing is vacating an area because you are terrified.”
“But you were terrified.”
“Woman!” Renardo shouted, officially frustrated and amused.  He seized his cup and slurped down half of the piping hot liquid.  “Ok, I was a little scared, I’ll admit.  But I wasn’t terrified!”
“Ok, that’s fair,” said Corinne.  “Then let me rephrase my earlier statement: I’m curious as to how that man managed to scare you so much, you ran out of the shop.”
“Ugh.” The young man snarled playfully at her and started tracing circles around the rim of his cup.  “Well, if you must know, I used to go to school with him.  Now this story goes way back to second grade, so bear with me.  He was a weird kid.  He was always hanging out by himself in second grade, and he had the strangest haircut.  It was like a mullet, but the back of the mullet wasn’t there, and instead there was a long ponytail.  But I’ll tell you this much: you did not want to tell the kid that he had a ponytail.  When anyone says ‘ponytail’ in elementary school, everyone thinks it’s a girly thing.  So when I walked up to him with some of my popular friends one day, and told him sarcastically that he had a nice ponytail, I knew what I was doing.  And to our pleasure, the kid began to cry, and he ran away from us.  I thought that was the end of it, and that he would just forget, as I’m sure I would.  But it was just the beginning.
“In high school, I had a system.  I would go to my first and second class of the day, make a trip to the bathroom, go to my next couple classes, go to lunch, go to my next class, make another trip to the bathroom, and then go to my final class.  Apparently, the kid who became Mustache Man knew my system as well as I did.  One day in my freshman year, after my second class of the day, he and a couple friends followed me into the bathroom, and his two friends held me against the wall in one of the stalls.  And you know what the kid did then? He takes out this electric shaver, orders his friends to hold my head over the toilet, and shaves all of my hair off.  Now you know how it is in high school.  Most people try as hard as they can to look attractive, and there is always a hairstyle deemed more attractive than others.  Well, baldness just so happened to be one of the least favored looks at my school.  And that kid, he knew it.  So he shaves off all my hair, yells, “Nice hair, baldy!” and runs out of the bathroom with his friends.  Too embarrassed to go to the rest of my classes, I stayed in the bathroom all day, and didn’t leave until thirty minutes after school ended.
“He left me alone after that day.  I suppose he decided that he had finally gotten vengeance for me and my friends being mean to him in second grade.  But what he did traumatized me.  After high school ended, I started forgetting about the whole situation.  Then I saw the guy in this very diner the other day, and all my fears came back.  Until that day, he was just a memory, and all the fears I used to associate with him had gone away.  But they returned to me when I saw him sitting there smugly, with a full mustache stretching above his lips.  I thought he might look over at me and start teasing me, or worse.”
“Wow, what a story,” Corinne said, laughing.  “So guys really do bully each other like that? I just thought those kinds of stories were exaggerations!”
“Oh no, things like that definitely happen,” Renardo chuckled.  “My friend, Nate, and I retell the story nearly every time we hang out and reminisce about the ‘good old days.’ Nate was actually one of the friends who were with me when we made fun of that kid back in second grade.  You should meet him; he’s a good guy.”
“Yeah, that would be fun,” Corinne replied, still laughing.  “I’m so glad I’m not drinking this coffee right now, because it would be coming out of my nose.  I just keep picturing these burly guys pushing your head toward a toilet and shaving off your hair.  Oh, that’s too funny!”
“Whatever you say, you bully,” Renardo joined in.
“Oh wow, that’s great.” Corinne shook her head, and Renardo grinned when he noticed that her face was nearly as red as her hair.  “You must have seriously loved your hair to still have such deep fears associated with that guy.”
“I did love my hair, and I still do.” He brushed the fine, golden strands of his hair to the left.
“Yes, Renardo, it’s very nice.” Corinne looked at her full cup of coffee, and then at the window behind her new friend.  “Oh, well, as warm and comfy as it is in here, I’d really like to get some fresh air.  Would you like to walk with me for a little while?”
“It would be an honor, milady,” Renardo replied with a polite bow of his head.  He chugged the remainder of his coffee and patted his pockets for his wallet.  “Just allow me to pay for us, and we can be on our way.”
“No, no,” Corinne objected.  “You paid for us the other day, so I should do it this time.”
“Well, I want to be a gentleman, if that’s alright.”
“And I want to be a gentlewoman.  Why does that sound so weird?”
“Because no one says it, just like no one ever says ‘by gum’ except me.  See, we have a lot in common.”
Corinne’s eyes met with his, and she smirked.  Then she fished out a wallet from her purse and pulled out a few bills.  Soon they received their check and, after she had paid and acquired a paper coffee cup in which she poured the contents of her porcelain cup, they left the diner together and walked south.   They went this way for a few minutes, commenting on some of the overpriced items displayed in windows of the scattered shops, and rubbing their arms whenever they remembered the biting cold.  Then they made west, though perhaps they did not know it as they discussed everything from the weather, to movies, to philosophical ideas and age-old debates.  The traffic had lessened slightly since Renardo had walked through downtown Sacramento earlier; now the streets were littered with drivers who drove around blocks repeatedly in an attempt to find a parking spot.  Visitors walked along the sidewalks, looking here and there with wide eyes, as if they had entered the largest city on earth.  Every half mile or so there was some kind of construction going on: workers coned off and repaired roads, added small structures to business properties, and restored depreciated regions of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment