Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Day the Thanksgiving Turkey Ran Away--Chapter 4

Chapter 4
Fall of a Hero
Super Pumpkin looked meticulously at each member of the group.  Then he said, “Here is the plan, everyone.  Jonathan and lady friend will defeat M.D.  I think we can all safely say that the wicked lady is M.D., yes? Pumpkin and I will work on getting that cauldron off the cliff, but we will first confirm that you have killed M.D.  Ghost, please keep your eyes on Melhrir and update us on his proximity.  Also, provide cover for us if anything unexpected occurs.  Jonathan and girl, once you have finished M.D., I want you both to ascend one of these stones and jump into the portal.  I believe that Pumpkin and Ghost will join you at that point; I know that Pumpkin would prefer to be in another world with all of his close friends, rather than in his homeland without them.  I will then push the cauldron off the cliff and, ideally, escape before Melhrir arrives.  M.D. will be dead and the portal potion will be no more.”
“Sounds like a plan,” responded Jonathan.  He put a hand on Awana’s shoulder.  “Let’s go!”  Then they ran off to the south together, rounding the outside of the stones.
“Hold on, Super Pumpkin,” Pumpkin said forcefully.  “I haven’t seen you in five years, and now I may never see you again? We need to talk!”
“We have no time, Pumpkin!” yelled the caped squash.  “You know what that Eagle is capable of.  Your ma and pa read those stories to us all the time when we were squashlings.  Why they read us that story in particular eludes me to this day.  It was far too violent.”
“Super Pumpkin, I have spent years wondering why you chose the road you did.  What turned you into this?”
Super Pumpkin groaned.  “Listen to me! We have no time.  We must—”
“You owe me an answer!” Pumpkin roared.
The caped squash looked toward the ground.  “You did, Pumpkin.  You turned me into this.”
“What do you mean?”
“I am a reflection of you, Pumpkin,” Super Pumpkin admitted sadly.  “Remember how we were so alike? Can you remember that? Can you remember how we played together, and got into trouble around our neighborhood? Do you recall the time we threw apples at Old Barkface when he was crossing the road that day? We did everything we knew that we should not.”
“Of course I remember,” answered Pumpkin.  “But we grew up.”
“No, cousin, you grew up.  You matured faster, and I was left behind.  And even when I did mature, I refused to become the person you were.  When I looked at you, all I could think was that you were so much better than I was.  You always made the right decision.  You were so moral.  And I was always ‘going down the wrong path.’  I was always doing the wrong thing.  But even when I resisted becoming you, I envied you.  Your morality gave you such a sense of superiority, and I wanted that.  I was weary of feeling bad for myself, and weary of you being better than I.  So I became like you: I became a superhero.  I chose to do the right thing, and I always went down the right path.  I felt great about this new person I had become.  But I was not myself; I was you.
“It was not until some years later that I did the right thing because it was right.  For a long time, I was merely acting as a superhero to spite you.  But then I grew up, and this persona was my own.  I was a hero, but not because I needed to be better than you.  Doing good was the right thing to do, and I did not need anyone to show me that.  I had to come to the conclusion myself.
“So you see, Pumpkin, I was jealous of you, and I hope you can forgive me for that.  But I had to forgive you for always being better.  Because Pumpkin, as much as I love you, that is who you have always been.  Your opinion, your way, your decision, has always been the best.  You make others feel that they cannot compare to you, because you have grown so accustomed to leading and providing the best way of doing things.  And I forgive you for that, Pumpkin.  I hope you can forgive me for any pain I caused you.”
Pumpkin was baffled.  “Super Pumpkin, of course I forgive you.  But I don’t understand.”
“You will, Pumpkin,” his cousin told him.  “Reflect on it.” He lifted his eyes toward the turkeys and the radiating cauldron.  “I am glad that we were permitted some time to speak.  But now is the time for action.  Are you with me?”
Pumpkin looked at him.  “I always have been.”
“Then let us combine our strength and save the world together!” Super Pumpkin rose a couple feet above the ground and soared directly toward the cauldron.  Pumpkin charged across the summit and hopped over the ring of turkeys.  They hit the cauldron simultaneously, knocking it toward the west a few yards.  They moved back and smashed into it again.  After repeating this process a dozen times, they had moved the cauldron about a hundred feet.  There was still a long distance before they would reach their goal.
“Melhrir is still far away!” Ghost announced.  “I’d say forty miles!”
Pumpkin rammed the cauldron with all his might.  “I have to be honest, Super Pumpkin.  We did a lot of wild and unusual things when we were young, but I never imagined we would one day push a cauldron across a mountain peak to disrupt a portal between Armenor and earth.”
“Believe me,” Super Pumpkin laughed, “you are not alone there.”
At that moment, the low voice they had heard on the wind earlier resumed.  The turkeys stopped gobbling, and suddenly, they began to stare at the two pumpkins pushing the cauldron toward the western cliff.  Super Pumpkin dropped back in preparation for another strike on the cauldron when he noticed the change in the birds’ focus.  “Pumpkin,” he said, “perhaps I am over-analyzing this, but it seems to me that the turkeys are in fighting stances.  If they attack, you may have to fight them off while I continue with this task.”
“I was thinking the same thing,” Pumpkin replied, and without another word, he drew his sword as the frenzied birds closed in.

Jonathan and Awana rounded the edge of the stones as they made their way toward the southern tower.  They were near their destination when they heard a loud shuffling of feathers and a battle cry from Pumpkin.  Jonathan led Awana between a couple of the curved obelisks and they glanced toward the center of the peak.  Pumpkin was leaping and shouting and slashing as turkeys swarmed in on him and his cousin.  The squash was circling the cauldron, keeping the winged beasts as far away as possible.  When he appeared to be overwhelmed, a barrage of blue projectiles would come raining down from a cluster of ghostly ballistae that Ghost had constructed in the east.  Jonathan yearned to join the fray and aid his friends, but he knew that M.D. had to be defeated.  As they came to the foot of one set of stairs, he and Awana stopped their flight and crouched down.
“Awana, here’s the plan,” said the boy.  “I want you to head to the other stairs and approach M.D. from that side.  On your way to the stairs, try to stay out of sight; she hasn’t seen us yet.  Just stay close to the bottom of the tower on your way there.  Once you’ve reached the stairs, we need to keep an eye on each other and climb them at the same time.  We should reach both entrances to the building at once, and then we can rush her from two sides.  Even if she tries something on one of us, it will only be a moment before the other one hits her.”
“Good thinking, Johnny boy.  I love it when you take charge.” She grinned at him.  “Now let’s get to it.  Earth and a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner await us on the other side!”
Jonathan took her hand and looked at her with serious eyes.  “Please be careful, Awana.”
She nodded.  “I will.  You be careful, too.” Then she dashed along the shadow of the tower and came to the foot of her stairs.  They motioned at each other and climbed in perfect harmony. 
Lightning was now springing everywhere across the heavens, and the clouds were darker than any they had ever seen.  Melhrir, releasing an ear-splitting caw every minute or so, grew larger as he approached.  The wind picked up and lashed across the summit like an icy whip.  Turkeys lunged at the two pumpkins, sometimes hitting their mark with their beaks, sometimes receiving a fatal blow to the head or back from Pumpkin’s sword.  Ghost watched fearfully as the great Eagle drew ever closer; he was summoning and loading projectiles into his ballistae as quickly as he could.  The portal continued to swirl hypnotically in the center of the stones.
Jonathan and Awana both reached their respective doorways silently, and they found an old woman with a staff in one hand and a red vial in the other, facing the window and watching the brawl below.  Her hair was a greasy gray, and her face was so pale that it was nearly green.  She was garbed in a cloak darker than night.  Her staff was made of wood, but its unique hue made it appear like the bone of some unfortunate victim.  She was mumbling something under her breath, but neither of them could tell what it was.  It was a deep, guttural tongue, and the best way they could describe it was ancient and outraged.  There was something entrancing and demoralizing about the powerful, heavy words that she spoke, and they began to think that they should turn around and head to the portal.  Somehow, they managed to snap out of it.  They took one look at each other and nodded; then they burst forward with all the speed they could muster.
The old lady whirled toward Awana and stretched out her staff.  A rounded shadow propelled from the staff head and smashed into the girl with frightening force.  Jonathan was so taken aback by the quickness with which his friend fell that he stopped in his tracks.  He looked at Awana’s limp body and shook his head in disbelief.  The lady screeched with laughter and turned toward him, stabbing the bottom of her staff into the ground.
“Dearest one, ‘twas nigh a sound plan,” she said with a hiss, “but alas, thou hast not dealt with a sorceress before.”
“I knew it!” Jonathan exclaimed.  “It is you! You’re the old woman who was blocking me on the street on Halloween morning!”
“Yea, quite a sharp one stands hither,” the woman croaked sardonically.
“But—why? Why did you send me to Kory’s mansion? If you had not sent me there, I would not have joined up with the Halloween friends and killed Apo.  You were working with him, weren’t you? But it was your words that led me to eventually kill him.”
The woman smiled, her teeth rotten and as yellow as butter.  “Dear oh dear, the babe is befuddled.  Apo created the vaunted Halloween potion in its glory, and yea, we knew well thou wouldst be unaffected.  ‘twas ever our plan.”
“So…you wanted me to kill him?”
“Oh, quite, quite.”
“But why in the world would you want that?”
She chuckled.  “There be certain edicts at work, the likes of which thou wouldst scarce comprehend! I could not harm my child.  But he, yea, even he willed to give up his own life—to please Mother Dearest.”
“M.D.,” Jonathan whispered to himself, noticing that the woman had placed the vial of red liquid on the frame of the window.  “That is just about the lamest acronym ever.”
“Doest we what we can with what we have,” she replied, appearing to agree with the boy.
“But what did Apo’s death accomplish? I don’t get it.”
She smiled again, and then cackled wildly.  “Oh, but a sole hint shall I give unto thee! Had thou properly disposed of the ashes of thy antagonistic professor that lay at the base of his cauldron…thou wouldst shoulder less responsibility for thy—and thy world’s—future.”
Jonathan smirked at her.  “I think you’re lying.  I think you’re terrified right now, because you know you’re about to be defeated by a 15-year old boy.  But nothing will save you now, you crazy old hag.”
“Learnest thou naught from the first book?” shrieked the sorceress. “Respect thy elders, thou insolent worm!”
She then extended her staff toward him, and another rounded shadow exploded across the room.  Jonathan avoided the blow by dropping to his hands, then hopped back up in an instant and took Ms. Unicorn from his pocket.  With one split-second motion, he threw the unicorn like a boomerang.  M.D. jumped back toward the southern wall of the building, but the boy had not aimed for her.  The unicorn crashed into the red vial and knocked it out of the tower.  The sound of shattering glass reached their ears a moment later.
“Wretched scum!” the woman bellowed.  “‘twas Armenor’s final potion of resurrec—”
She never finished her sentence, for Jonathan leapt toward her and kicked her in the abdomen with every ounce of his weight behind him.  The impact was so brutal that she tore through the wooden wall behind her and plummeted down the mountainside.  The boy walked over to the hole in the wall and gazed down to confirm that she had not survived the fall.  Before her body disappeared from view, he watched as she collided with multiple objects along her descent.  He knew from his experience of hitting a tree that there was no possible way she could have survived multiples collisions, so he turned away and went to check on Awana.
The girl was injured, but she was breathing and somewhat conscious.  She looked up at him and said dazedly, “Mr. Bird, I felt far more useful on our last adventure.”
With a small but concerned laugh, Jonathan scooped her up from the ground and dusted her off.  “Awana, if you had not been here, we would have failed.  I guarantee it.  You kept me going.  You encouraged me every step of the way.  And though we didn’t plan it this way, you bought me time to figure out my next move for M.D.  Thank you.”
She beamed at him.  “You’re certainly welcome, but I’m just trying to understand how a bird of your size can talk.  It blows my mind.” Then her head rolled back, and she fell asleep.
Jonathan peered out the open window and saw the bodies of many turkeys on the ground.  Pumpkin was no longer jumping, but swinging his sword here and there wearily.  There were still almost a hundred birds around him.  Super Pumpkin had managed to push the cauldron very close to the western cliff, but he was now seated against the pot, exhausted.
“Guys!” Jonathan shouted.  “Guys, M.D. has been slain!”
“Great!” Super Pumpkin called out to him.  “You two must get going.  Good luck to you both, and I pray that you find happiness together!”
Ghost was looking exceptionally nervous.  “Melhrir is only a few miles away! Hurry!”
Everyone looked to the west, and the great Eagle, its talons large enough to carry a small town, and its wings spread a couple hundred feet across, approached at a horrifying speed.  Jonathan shuddered, and he hurried out of the tower.  A moment later, the companions watched as he climbed up the spine of a hunched obelisk with Awana in his arms, and they all realized that he had never before appeared like such a hero.  Lightning continued to strike behind him, and the thunder chanted, and Melhrir came on from the western skies.  But the boy, injured and weary, and somehow full of hope, drew closer to his goal with each step.  His eyes fell to Awana, and he said, “We’ll be home soon; I promise.”
Pumpkin drove his sword through a turkey’s wing, and then he faced Super Pumpkin.  “Well, this is it.”
“Yes, it is time for you to go,” Super Pumpkin answered, still sitting against the cauldron.  “Do not worry; I will do as I have said, and destroy this cauldron.”
“But you have no strength left, and you know it,” said Pumpkin.  “You cannot do this alone.  I’ll stay here with you.”
The caped squash sighed.  “You do not want to do that.  I know you, Pumpkin.  You wish to be with your friends.  You must leave.”
Jonathan reached the end of the stone, and he looked into the deep void of the portal.  “Thank you all for what you’ve done for me in the past and on this day.  I won’t forget it.  Super Pumpkin, I was wrong.  There are superheroes, and you’ve shown me that today.  Pumpkin and Ghost, I hope I’ll see you on the other side.  Goodbye.” He closed his eyes and muttered, “Oh, I hope we don’t appear a thousand feet above Berryessa.” Then he hurdled forward, touched the portal’s edge, and vanished.
“Pumpkin,” Super Pumpkin grumbled, rising to his feet.  “Go.  Now!”
“Melhrir is right on us, you guys!” Ghost wailed.
Turkeys were finally breaking through and pecking both Pumpkin and Super Pumpkin all over their bodies.  Pumpkin could hardly lift his sword, and he wondered if he could even make his way to the top of a stone if he tried.  He limped to his cousin’s side.  “Listen, I’m staying.  We need to make sure that Melhrir can’t reach earth.  That’s our priority.”
“I am going to tap into the last of my Magic to take down this cauldron,” Super Pumpkin responded.  “Believe me, I am fully capable of it.  I will be fine, Pumpkin.  I will be fine.”
“You’ll be utterly spent.  I need to be here to save you.”
His cousin untied the cape from his body and handed it to Pumpkin.  “You cannot save everyone, Pumpkin.  Sometimes you have to let others find the way on their own.”
“Um…Super Pumpkin, what are you doing?” Pumpkin looked at the cape in his hands.
“The name isn’t Super Pumpkin, my dear cousin.” The squash held onto Pumpkin’s entire body and lifted him off the ground.  “It’s Gourdo.  Now go!” Then, with a massive surge of power, he lobbed Pumpkin toward the portal.  Ghost zipped after his friend, cowering as Melhrir swooped down a hundred yards above the summit.  The last thing Pumpkin saw before he reached the portal was a white light flashing from his cousin’s hands and knocking the cauldron off the cliff.  Gourdo fell onto his back, his duty fulfilled, and turkeys swarmed over him.  Pumpkin and Ghost touched the portal and disappeared.

To their horror and annoyance, they did indeed appear a thousand feet above Lake Berryessa.  Ghost had no need to worry (yet he did anyway), but Pumpkin feared that he would soon be a squashed…squash.  As the portal above him dispersed into nothingness, he plunged toward the water while Ghost pretended to fall beside him.  They screamed in unison, the deep abyss waiting for them far below.  They thought they heard the words “There they are!” come from somewhere nearby, and a couple seconds later, someone grabbed Pumpkin and ended his descent.  He looked below him and saw a broomstick.  Then he looked ahead and saw that Witch was flying on the broomstick and heading toward a cliffside road.  Ghost continued to “tumble” through the air behind them, convinced that this was the end for him.  As Witch and Pumpkin drew nearer to the road, the squash could see Jonathan standing on the side, and Awana resting against a stump.  Frankenstein’s monster and the Legcheeses were also there.  Mr. Legcheese was doing some pretty epic lunges for warmth, and Mrs. Legcheese was dressed like a cheerleader.  She cheered on Pumpkin as he reached the cliff and jumped onto the pebbly roadside.  Stanley Pharmacist was nowhere to be seen; he had fled hysterically from the Legcheese household after realizing there would be no turkey for dinner.
“Witch, I thought I was done for,” Pumpkin said as he landed on his feet.  “Thank you.”
“Oh, dearie, y’know it’s nothing.” She kicked her broom into her hand like a skateboard.
Jonathan turned to Frankenstein’s monster.  “How did you guys know we would show up here?”
“While I would find it the pinnacle of enjoyment to profess to you that knowledge,” explained the intelligent creature, “methinks the dialogue would be better suited over food frequently equated with this merry holiday.”
“Sure, I’m fine with that,” the boy answered.  “But I think we might have to move to cooked goose or leg of lamb.  Maybe even chicken breast.  I don’t care.  Please, just no turkey.”
Ghost rose up among the group from the ground.  “Guys, weirdest thing just happened.  I was freefalling pretty intensely.  Not sure if you saw it.  But I didn’t even hit the water.  I didn’t hit a thing! Can you believe that?”
Pumpkin sighed.  “If only he could use the long day as an excuse, but he always acts like this.”
“Well, it has been a long day,” Jonathan said, looking at Awana.  “Come on, guys.  Let’s go home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment