Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Day the Thanksgiving Turkey Ran Away--Epilogue

Epilogue
Thanksgiving
Spread across the dinner table was an assortment of scrumptious foods: biscuits, mashed potatoes and gravy, candied yams, fruit salad, pumpkin pie (Pumpkin sat as far away as possible from this dish), pig ears, liver, caviar (the last three were there because of a high demand from Jonathan’s father), and burritos from this Mexican restaurant called Baldo’s.  Ghost in particular could not get enough of something called the “California burrito,” though he did not seem to realize that he had not yet managed a single bite.  When Mrs. Legcheese would scoop an unfamiliar food onto Witch’s dish, the old alchemist would sniff it, pull a vial from a pouch at her side, sprinkle the contents onto the food, and eat it with gusto.  Frankenstein’s monster seemed to thoroughly enjoy the mashed potatoes; indeed, not fully understanding Thanksgiving etiquette, he took the entire bowl of mashed potatoes and ate it within two minutes.  Awana, now quite recovered, returned to her encouraging ways and cheered the bulky creature on with every bite.  Jonathan and Pumpkin, sitting next to one another, did not eat much.  The boy was clearly distraught for some reason, but it was hard to tell with Pumpkin.  As a jack-o-lantern, he was doomed for eternity to look like he had just won the lottery.
“Are you holding up all right, Pumpkin?” Jonathan asked him.
Pumpkin sighed.  “I suppose.  Gourdo sacrificed himself for us.  He made his own choice, and was happy to die so that we can live.  But that doesn’t take away the fact that my cousin is dead.” He looked down at the cape lying on his chair.  “I’ll never see him again.”
Awana smiled warmly at him.  “No, Pumpkin, you’ll see him again.  I truly believe that.”
“You do?” Somehow, there was glimmer of hope in the squash’s eyes.
“Yes, you’ll see him again.” Her countenance was resolute.
“You are encouraging and wise,” Pumpkin admitted, “and I do believe that I misjudged you when we first met.  I apologize.  But you still look like a cocker spaniel.”
“Um—er, thank you, Pumpkin!” said Awana.  “And Johnny boy looks like a flaming bird.  I’m not sure how we’re going to make that work.”
“So,” broke in Jonathan’s mother.  “Should we all say what we’re thankful for? Great! I’ll start.  I’m grateful for crabs.  All kinds of crabs, from every ocean and sea.  You wouldn’t believe how versatile those things are for lunch and dinner recipes.”
Her husband applauded her.  “That was beautiful, dear.  OK, my turn.  I’m thankful for my smoking hot wife.  That is all.”
“Really, Dad?” muttered Jonathan.  “Really?”
The man beamed at him with a feral look in his eyes.
“Well,” said Witch contemplatively.  “Let’s see, dearies, let’s see.  I’m thankful for these candied toads here.  They are delicious beyond reason.”
“Those are candied yams, my dear,” Jonathan’s mother pointed out.
Witch seemed rather confused, and she looked around the table.  “That’s what I said, no?”
Ghost pretended to choke briefly on a potato in his burrito.  “OK, I guess it’s my turn! I’m thankful for Pumpkin.  Even though I get on his nerves every five seconds—”
“Three seconds,” Pumpkin interrupted.
“—three seconds, he puts up with me.  He is my closest friend, and I’m glad we’ve become so close over the years.”
Pumpkin raised a glass of apple cider to his ethereal comrade.  “It’s mutual, buddy.”
Frankenstein’s monster swallowed a burrito whole.  “Mine allies, I must confess that, while my dear creator has abandoned me (how I love and despise the oaf), I am thankful that he gave me life.  For though the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune may strike us time and again, good ever awaits us around the bend.  And had we not this life, we would bear not these we call our friends.  Thus, in sum, I am thankful for this life.”
Awana looked at the enormous creature and patted him on the shoulder.  “Thank you, Frankenstein’s monster.  Wonderfully said.” She faced the center of the table.  “I’m thankful that God brought us all together.  We’re such an odd assortment of people and storybook characters, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.  We learn from each other, and we grow.  We’re here together for a reason, and after this adventure, I’m starting to understand that more clearly.  I’m just so grateful that you’re all in my life.”
Jonathan nodded at her and smiled.  “Well said, Awana.  You took my speech right out of my mouth, but well said.” He looked at Pumpkin.  “I’m thankful for Super Pumpkin, also known as Gourdo.  He used the last of his energy to destroy one of M.D.’s final potions, and in that moment, he sacrificed himself.  We are here now because of his strategy.  And because of his sacrifice, we do not have to save the world from Melhrir Soul-eater.”
“Amen,” Awana agreed.  “This story—er, I mean adventure—would be way too long if we had to do that.”
Pumpkin stood up on his chair and looked at each individual around him.  “I’m thankful for the time we have in this life to mend broken relationships.  Even if it may never be as perfect as you want it, a broken relationship can be restored.  We are provided the time to draw nearer to the person we are in a disagreement with, and we can either use that time to resolve what must be resolved, or ignore it.  Most choose to ignore it, and then, when they finally decide to make a move, it’s too late.  Forgiveness is difficult, but necessary.  Without it, we can never be reconciled to someone we love.  So yes, I’m thankful for reconciliation.”
“I’m glad that you were able to set aside your differences with Gourdo before the end,” Jonathan said to him.
“As am I, Jonathan,” Pumpkin replied staring at the cape once again.
“All right, now it’s time to spill the beans, guys,” Awana remarked to Witch and Frankenstein’s monster.  “How the freak did you know we would end up coming from a portal in Berryessa?”
Witch cleared her throat.  “In the note I acquired from Apo’s lab, dearie, there was some writing at the bottom that went thusly: ‘P.S. My resurrection potion and the only portal potion will be safe with me on Melonir.  On the day of thanks, I will open a portal to the lake called Berryessa, and from thence shall come the bird.’ Now, the word ‘Berryessa’ was quite problematic to decipher, for you rarely see the letter for a ‘double s’ in Weƶstrif.  Once we knew the place to which she referred, we hurried to Lake Berryessa.  This was primarily to fight off Melhrir, if at all possible.  We were quite flabbergasted when our dear friends suddenly came tumbling from the sky.”
“We were very lucky that you guys were there,” said Pumpkin.  “That would have been a terrible end to our adventure.”
“Indeed,” Witch replied, spearing a candied yam with her fork.
Awana looked at Jonathan while the others continued to talk.  She frowned once she noticed his glum and pensive expression.  “Johnny boy, you look really sad.  Are you upset about Super Pumpkin?”
He shrugged.  “Well, yeah, but that’s not the only thing that’s bothering me.”
Awana touched his shoulder and scooted closer to him.  “Do you want to spoon on the couch and talk about it?”
He lifted his eyes to her.  “Maybe we can just start by holding hands?”
She nodded at him and took hold of his right hand.  “Of course, Johnny boy.  That’s fine.”
He stared at their interlocked fingers with a proud smile, and then he said, “After you were knocked out by M.D., I used Ms. Unicorn to break her potion of resurrection.  Ms. Unicorn must have landed somewhere on the summit of the mountain.  I didn’t see where she went, and I left her there.”
His mother overheard him, and she slapped the top of the table.  “Jonathan Gerd Legcheese! You left Ms. Unicorn in another world? What in the name of all that is holy were you thinking?”
Jonathan continued to look at his and Awana’s hands.  “I was thinking that I needed to get Awana home.  She was injured.  Nothing was more important to me in that moment than making sure she was all right, and that she got home safely.”
Mr. Legcheese whistled.  “Goodness me, our little boy is growing up!” He wiped a tear from his eye.
Pumpkin, still standing on his chair, poked Jonathan on the shoulder.  “Oh, Jonathan, the strangest thing happened.”
“Yes, Pumpkin?”
“When I was fighting those turkeys on the summit, I was suddenly struck very hard on the back by something.  I thought an especially feisty bird had come into the fray, but when I looked on the ground, I saw a toy unicorn.  Your toy unicorn.”  He crouched down, moved the cape to the side, and lo! he revealed Ms. Unicorn.  He lifted it toward Jonathan like a beautiful, resplendent crown and the boy reached out to it in awe.  In the background, Mr. Legcheese began to sing dramatic choir music as the group watched the event unfold.  Jonathan received the unicorn with grace, and then he jumped up and held it high in the air.  The light of the chandelier above reflected off its lustrous body, casting dazzling lights all over the walls.  Pumpkin immediately regretted his decision to hand over the ridiculous toy.
“Pumpkin, you sly squash!” Jonathan exclaimed.  “I cannot express how much I love you right now!”
“Yes, thank you ever so much,” Awana said dryly.
Ghost had never appeared happier.  “This is so wonderful, you guys.  We have good food, good friends, and a good unicorn.  And best of all, we don’t have to worry about any more adventures!”
“Er…how do you figure that, dearie?” Witch inquired.
“Well, just think about it, Witch,” Ghost responded.  “There’s no more portal potion, and Jonathan destroyed the potion of resurrection.  Sounds like a definitive victory to me!”
“Aren’t you forgetting about the potion that turns goodness to blight?”
Ghost rubbed his translucent chin.  “Of course not.  But there is no Apo, and Jonathan roundhouse-kicked M.D. off a cliff.  As far as I see it, we’re done.  The quest is finally over!”
If only he had looked out the window behind him, he would have realized that the quest was far from over.  If he had gazed out at the evening sky, he would have seen something quite out of place.  For at that moment, nine reindeer lugged a huge sleigh in front of the moon.  If Ghost had looked closely at the figure seated in the sleigh, he would have known that a new adventure was about to begin.  In that sleigh sat a man who looked like Santa Claus, and who was dressed like Santa Claus.  But he was not Santa Claus, for as he turned his face and watched the friends laughing and eating together, he smiled and revealed rows of sharp teeth.  Then, extending forth claws that rested in place of fingernails, he tugged at the reins in his hands and cackled as the reindeer pulled him away into the night sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment