Friday, March 21, 2014

Empty

     This poem is not the most uplifting read, but it is genuine.  I love God with everything I have, and He has brought me a peace that I cannot even begin to explain.  However, just as King David had moments in some of his psalms in which he lifted up complaints to God, so I too lift up my pain in this poem.  At the time of this writing, I was facing numerous emotional struggles and I could not see an end to them.  One struggle in particular was envy.  I watched as those around me seemed to succeed at every turn; meanwhile, I was serving people and God as selflessly as possible, and only bad things were happening to me.  So I lifted up a prayer to God, and turned it into a poem.
     I try to write things that have a positive message; however, to limit myself only to these things would be a denial of my humanity.  Furthermore, it is in places of darkness that light shines the brightest.  And while the conclusion to this poem seems hopeless, I can assure you that God is more than capable of filling any emptiness within us.  Since the time of composing this work, He has brought me great strength and hope.  I pray that someone can find solace in these lines, knowing that they are not alone in having felt empty.
 
Empty,
I fill and provide--
Selfless hands serving the selfish--
And receive nothing.

I am here,
Seeing all and seen when desired--
Forgotten in the worst of times,
Obscure in the best.

Blessings fall
Like rain on casual spectators
As I strive to live,
But live in strife.

I am poured out,
My contents a constant provision
While all provision eludes me
And leaves me
Empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment