Tuesday, May 6, 2014

White Fox--Chapter 4, Part 3

The road veered northwest again, and he made a mental note that he was now on E Street.  The trees, hale and washed with color, bowed to one another across the shaded street and beckoned him on toward the west.  Renardo stepped into a crosswalk area and was amazed when a driver paused for more than three seconds to let him and his dog cross to the other side.  Of course, he was not amazed when he observed a driver behind this gracious person, fuming noticeably and inching forward.
“I’m telling you, Sancho,” said the young man, “after I save this city from Malvin, I’m going to invest in some sort of charity that helps the poor victims of road rage.  But I don’t think there’s enough money in the world for that.”
In response, Sancho urinated on a thick tree rising from a strip of grass.  He then fought against the tension of his leash; Renardo was apparently walking too slowly for him, so they both increased their speed.  They had only moved a few yards before a familiar face appeared on the other side of the street.  An elderly lady with long, grey hair and a smooth complexion walked a long-haired dachshund along the sidewalk, heading southeast.  Although she was old, she seemed as hale as the trees lining the road, and she wore an expression that was both blissful and confident.  When she saw Renardo, she smiled sweetly at him, but a sudden sadness filled her eyes.  She waved at him, and her dog nearly hyperventilated with delight once it noticed Sancho.  Renardo crossed over to her, and the dachshund proceeded to sniff and jump on the small Australian Shepherd.  Sancho did not seem impressed.
“Mrs. Garcia, it’s so good to see you,” the young man said to her, giving her a small hug.  “How are you doing?”
“Well, it’s a beautiful day, I’m still breathing, and my feet aren’t aching too badly,” the old woman replied, studying him like a loving grandmother.  “And dear Renardo, haven’t I told you? You can call me Shelley, you know.  It’s allowed.”
“I know, I know,” Renardo answered with a playful roll of his eyes.  “I grew up calling you ‘Mrs. Garcia,’ though.  Calling you by your first name is pretty weird.”
The lady chuckled.  “So you decided to get some fresh air? As fresh as it gets in Sacramento, I mean.  Don’t get me started on my allergies.”
“Trust me, I won’t.” Renardo grinned.  “I think you kept me two hours past my bedtime the last time we discussed that.”
“You’re probably right.  It sounds like something I would do.” She looked at his eyes searchingly and took one of his hands.  “Now, my dear, how are you doing? Well, I hope?”
He nodded, but did not meet her gaze.  “I—yes, Mrs. Garcia, I’m doing pretty well right now.  Things could always be better, of course.” He had known this kind woman for nearly his entire life; he owed her more than such a lame response.  “I’m still really good friends with Nate.  In fact, he came over just the other day, and we talked over coffee for a little while.  Oh, and there’s this girl I’m sort of interested in.”
“Oh, my boy, it makes me so happy to hear that,” Mrs. Garcia replied.  Her voice thickened with emotion, and happy tears formed in her eyes.  “That’s wonderful.  What’s her name?”
“Corinne,” he answered, desperately hoping that they were not distantly related.  With his luck, Corinne was a niece of hers.
“What a gorgeous name.” She released his hand and watched, amused, as her dachshund continued to vie for Sancho’s attention.  “If you two ever get serious, make sure you bring her by my house.  Any women in your life have to go by me first, Renardo.  It’s my requirement, OK?”
The young man laughed.  “OK, Mrs. Garcia.  I’ll make sure to remember that.” He looked at her, and his smile dropped into a frown.  “I’m so sorry for not coming by lately.  My mind gets distracted easily, and I always find something to occupy my time.  But that’s really no excuse.  I mean, you’re my neighbor, and I’ve known you for so many years.”
“Oh, don’t fret about that,” the lady replied with the wave of a hand.  “You’re young, and you have things to do.  We all go through it.  I’ve definitely been there, believe me.”
“No, I mean it.  I’m going to try to come by more often.  Really.”
Mrs. Garcia beamed at him and took his hand again.  “You’re a sweet boy, Renardo.  You always have been.  Never change that, you understand? You’ll do great things one day.”
“Thank you, Mrs. Garcia.  That’s very nice of you.”
She nodded, looked past him, and let go of his hand.  “Well, I suppose I should continue my exercise.  You don’t look like this at my age by just standing around talking all day.” She tugged at her dog’s leash, and the dachshund—loath to quit her display of unrequited love—followed her southeast.  “Take care of yourself, my boy.  I’ll see you again soon.”
“Take care of yourself, too, Mrs. Garcia,” he called out to her.  “It was great talking to you!”
Somehow, Sancho looked relieved when they continued their walk.  He trotted with brisk tosses of his furry feet, looking here and there with an obtruding tongue.  Renardo glanced back at his neighbor and smiled warmly.  He had met few people as amiable and selfless as Mrs. Garcia.  Shortly after the crime-plague five years ago, he had spent many hours speaking to her and her husband about its atrocious nature.  Although it had not directly affected any of them, they had considered it a healthy exercise to discuss the traumatic event.  Nate was always too busy or disinterested in the crimes—that is, until recently.  Renardo did not have many others with whom he could speak about the subject, especially now that so many years had passed. 
The day Mrs. Garcia came to his door weeping was still fresh in his mind.  Three years ago, her husband of nearly fifty years had passed away.  She did not want to put such a heavy burden on him, she had explained, but she did not know who else she could turn to.  They had spent much of the evening sipping tea in his family room and speaking very little; there was not much to say in such circumstances, after all.  He recalled feeling utterly useless, sitting across from the grieving, grandmotherly woman and aching for her with every frown or tear that marked her face.  “I need to save her,” he remembered thinking.  “If only I could save her from this pain.” But there was not a particular brand of tea, nor a magic word, nor any known gesture of man that could bring her the healing she required.  Not even time could heal this wound, not completely; in her heart, she would always be tied to the man she had married.  Renardo’s eyes traced random lines in the broken sidewalk as he thought that, perhaps, Corinne felt the same way about her husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment